Working group offers plans for crumbling Baynard Stadium
An 11-member working group appointed by Wilmington Mayor Mike Purzycki delivered its first report on the future of Baynard Stadium. The sports stadium, located on West 18th Street in Brandywine Park, has stood for nearly a century as a landmark in the community. Mayor Purzycki tasked the group with coming up recommendations on how to bring new investment to the crumbling stadium.
The report provides five options:
* Maintain status quo, which is expected to lead to the eventual physical demise of the stadium
* A cash investment of approximately $12.6 million by the State of Delaware
* Bonded financing by Wilmington that would cost the City $18.4 million
* Bonded financing and operational funding by Wilmington that would cost the City $22.2 million
* A public and private partnership that would secure the stadium’s future and is likely to involve minimal expenditures on the part of the City
The group held a public meeting last night at the Warner Elementary School, located nearby the stadium. The comments will be incorporated into the final report.
More information is available here: https://www.wilmingtonde.gov/Home/Components/News/News/454/225