Tax help available for Delawareans
MyFreeTaxes Delaware offers online tax-filing service to help individuals get the task done accurately, thoroughly and quickly. It is a free service through a collaboration between $tand By Me, the state of Delaware and United Way of Delaware.
Any Delaware resident with a household income of $62,000 or less in 2015 is eligible.
“Tax deadlines are around the corner. We encourage people to take advantage of MyFreeTaxes Delaware and file as soon as possible to avoid penalties,” said Mary Dupont, director of financial empowerment for the state of Delaware.
$tand By Me provides the MyFreeTaxes tax-preparation software, which includes a free hotline staffed by IRS-certified income tax preparers to help qualified taxpayers file their returns.
With myfreetaxesde.com, taxpayers get all the help they need to start on their taxes and complete them in one sitting — once they have all their documents collected.
Documents most commonly needed to start filing at myfreetaxesde.com:
W-2s for each job held in 2015 for each person in the household.
- 1099s showing other income (unemployment, social security, school loans, health care reimbursement, state tax refund, gambling winnings, contract work, interest earned, and etc.) reported to the IRS.
- 1098s showing payments you’ve made (school loans, property tax).
- 1095-A if you received credit from the healthcare.gov marketplace.
- Bank account numbers: a voided check or your bank or credit union’s routing number and savings or checking account number for your refund to be deposited automatically into your account through direct deposit.
- Last year’s tax return (if available).
Plus, filing early ensures a timely return. After April 18, the rate at which forms are processed and refunds are mailed or electronically deposited slows considerably.
To avoid paying extra fees taxpayers should file either a return or an extension by the deadline, even if unable to pay their taxes at that time. If filers owe the government money, they should pay as much as possible by the deadline to mitigate the possible interest and penalties on what is owed.
“Myfreetaxesde.com takes the dread out of this often overwhelming task,” said Jerry Hunter, chief operating officer of United Way of Delaware. “The software provides accurate guidance and finds the best return for the filer.”
To file taxes for free online or for more information, visit myfreetaxesde.com.