SAS Nanotechnologies wins Swim with the Sharks Pitch Competition
SAS Nanotechnologies beat out eleven other startup companies in theEmerging Enterprise Center’s Swim with the Sharks Pitch Competition-which offers a grand prize of $16,000 in cash and services.
The Newark-based firm took home the award for its anticorrosive coating technology. Theproprietary method prevents corrosion and “heals and protects” metals from corrosion caused by surface scratches and damage.
SAS was founded by Sumedh Surwade, who developed it out of his PhD research. The technology was also recently awarded an NSF SBIR grant to further develop the technology. Surwade said other partnerships and licensing agreements are on the horizon.
This is the second year that the Emerging Enterprise Center has partnered with New Castle County Government, helping them offer a string of prizes and support for participants:
· Cash prize of $10,000 from the New Castle County NCC Innovates Program
· $2,000 business startup and bookkeeping package from SC Associates
· $1,400 in IT services from Info Solutions
· 6 month membership in the Emerging Enterprise Center Virtual Incubation Program (valued at $1,800)
· One year membership in World Trade Center Delaware (valued at $395)
· One year membership in New Castle County Chamber of Commerce (valued at $350)