LOADING

Type to search

News Residential Real Estate

Knight Crossing proposed to bring 131 units to Milford

Share

Knight Crossing, a 131-unit development, started the Milford planning process, though plans are up for change. | PHOTO COURTESY CITY OF MILFORD

MILFORD  Lockwood Design and Construction Inc. is looking to build a mixed-use development west of Route 1, marking its second project in the rising boom town.

Knight Crossing, a proposed development with 101 condos and 30 townhomes, is starting to make its way through Milford’s planning process. Earlier this week, the Milford City Council approved conditional use for the planned use development and its preliminary plans.

The development is proposed to be right off the intersection of Cedar Beach Road and Route 1. Preliminary plans show about 5 acres will be kept open space with a clubhouse and swimming pool on site.

Phase one shows that the condos and townhomes take up most of the 40 acres of land and leaving 15 acres unused. The land is zoned Highway Commercial District (C-3) as well as Garden Apartment & Townhouse District (R-3).

Early plans filed with the Milford Planning Department suggest that phase two could include future commercial development to tie into Knight Crossing. So far, Milford Planning and Economic Development Director Rob Pierce said no commercial plans have been filed.

Milton-based developer Don Lockwood is behind this project through Milford Marina Enterprise LLC. That company also owns roughly 20 acres of land directly across the proposed Knight Crossing and another sliver of land next to the development.

Lockwood also received final site plan approval for the Riverwalk Villas, a 48-unit development on the riverfront of the Mispillion River, earlier this month. That project is expected to break ground in fall 2020.

Meanwhile, it’s still early to say when Knight Crossing will break ground. Lockwood Design and Construction Project Manager Tracy Mascelli told Delaware Business Times that the project is still in its due diligence phase and there are changes forthcoming in the plan.

While the Milford Planning Commission recommended to move forward with the planned use development, it denied requests to reduce side yard setbacks. The City Council upheld that decision on Monday night.

“It’s hard to say what the timeline is on this project,” Pierce told DBT. “It could go back to the Board of Adjustments and seek a variance, or they could opt to redraw the lots. If it was a major change in the lots, it would need to come back to the Planning Commission. But it’s still early in the process.”

By Katie Tabeling

[email protected]

Tags:

You Might also Like

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *