Delaware revenue division, IRS have some tips for the holiday season
The Delaware Division of Revenue and the IRS, in honor of National Tax Security Awareness Week, have some tips for keeping your information safe through the holiday shopping season.
The tips include:
- Shop at familiar online retailers.
- Avoid unprotected Wi-Fi.
- Learn to recognize and avoid phishing emails that pose as a trusted source such as those from financial institutions or the IRS. T
- Keep a clean machine.
- Use passwords that are strong, long and unique. E
- Use multi-factor authentication.
- Encrypt and password-protect sensitive data.
The agencies also suggest checking your credit score annually and signing up for a “My Social Security” account online. This can help consumers determine the amount of income attributed to your SSN and whether someone else may be using it for employment purposes.
Check out the “Taxes. Security. Together” awareness campaign, or the IRS Publication 4524, Security Awareness for Taxpayers for more information.