LOADING

Type to search

Coronavirus Daily Briefing News

COVID-19 Daily Briefing 5/1

Share

May 1

DPH updates COVID-19 numbers through Friday, May 1

The Delaware Division of Public Health (DPH) announced 184 new positive cases have been confirmed and that 7 more Delawareans — 159 in all — have passed away due to complications from COVID-19. The deceased range in age from 32 to 103 years old.

As of May 1, the state’s COVID-19 case statistics cumulatively since March 11 include 4,918 total laboratory-confirmed cases — 1,829 of them in New Castle County, 773 in Kent County and 2,292 in Sussex County. The state said preliminary data based on reporting by state and commercial laboratories, indicate there have been 17,667 negative cases.

There are 281 Delawareans who are currently hospitalized. To date, 1,403 Delawareans who have tested positive have recovered.


Delaware National Guard ‘enlists’ to help food bank feed families across First State
Last week, the Delaware National Guard assisted the Food Bank of Delaware during drive-thru mobile pantries at locations across the First State.

Thousands of Delawareans in cars, trucks, minivans, SUVs – and some by foot, bicycle, and motorized scooter – maneuvered through the lanes during last week’s three drive-thru events.

“These are our citizens. These are our families, our friends, our neighbors,” said Maj. Gen. Michael Berry, adjutant general of the Delaware National Guard. “Our citizen soldiers and airmen are coming here from within Delaware – and surrounding states – to do these types of missions, and certainly, they’re going to have a great perspective in helping the folks that are here to get some assistance because they know them.”

The food bank-sponsored mobile pantries, which featured items such as apples, cereal, cheese, chicken, milk, oranges, and canned goods, took place at Christiana Mall in Newark, Dover International Speedway in Dover, and Sussex Central High School in Georgetown.

In total, for three days, the guardsmen and volunteers distributed 279,299 pounds of consumables to 5,935 households, according to the Newark-headquartered food bank.

For information about the Food Bank of Delaware and its programs, visit www.fbd.org. For more about the Delaware National Guard and its state and federal missions, visit www.de.ng.mil.


Sen. Coons: ‘We need to invest significantly’ in vaccine manufacturing capacity to be ready for COVID-19, next pandemic

Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) joined The Hill’s Steve Clemons this week to discuss the importance of expanding our domestic vaccine manufacturing capacity to not only prepare for COVID-19, but also future pandemics.

“This particular novel coronavirus that is producing COVID-19 is a double challenge in that it is something that is going to require us to develop an enormous number of individual vaccine doses,” Senator Coons said. “I think we will hopefully finally proactively invest enough [in vaccine manufacturing] because as bad as this pandemic is, it is nowhere near as bad as what has been predicted for many years, which is that we are due for a truly lethal influenza pandemic.”

“My hope is that this experience is bad enough that we finally mobilize globally the resources needed to ensure that we don’t have to endure a pandemic like this one, but dramatically more lethal,” Senator Coons said.


Beebe to open Emergency Department at South Coastal Health Campus

Beebe Healthcare’s new freestanding emergency department at the South Coastal Health Campus will open Tuesday, May 5.

ing of this campus demonstrates Beebe Healthcare’s dedication to continue providing quality care for all of Sussex County. We have wanted to better serve our friends and neighbors in the southern portion of Sussex County for a long time and are incredibly proud to open this new facility here, especially while leading the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic,” said David Tam, MD, CEO of Beebe Healthcare.

Beebe Healthcare’s South Coastal Health Campus will operate as an emergency department, without some of the other services of a typical acute care hospital such as operating rooms and cardiac catheterization labs, for those in need of immediate procedures.

Beebe’s South Coastal emergency department will be able to handle the most frequent emergency needs in its 23 exam rooms. Six rooms are focused on expedited care for less serious ailments to receive quicker treatment and to get you home or back on vacation faster.

Those facing an emergency, such as car accident, heart attack, etc., should still call 911. The emergency medical teams will know the right location to take you and can stabilize you during transit.

Beebe’s South Coastal emergency department is prepared to handle COVID-19 patients if someone is in need of emergency services. Methods are in place to protect the safety of both patients and caregivers. For those not needing emergency care, patients should seek care at one of Beebe’s other locations.


April 30

DPH updates COVID-19 numbers through Thursday, April 30

The Delaware Division of Public Health (DPH) announced 79 new positive cases have been confirmed and that 8 more Delawareans — 152 in all — have passed away due to complications from COVID-19. The deceased range in age from 32 to 103 years old.

As of April 29, the state’s COVID-19 case statistics cumulatively since March 11 include 4,734 total laboratory-confirmed cases — 1,734 of them in New Castle County, 759 in Kent County and 2,216 in Sussex County. The state said preliminary data based on reporting by state and commercial laboratories, indicate there have been 17,086 negative cases.

There are 296 Delawareans who are currently hospitalized with 65 in critical condition. To date, 1,275 Delawareans who have tested positive have recovered.


Governor Carney adds 14th modification to Emergency Declaration

Gov. John Carney on Thursday issued the modification to his State of Emergency declaration, providing additional protections for Delaware renters during the COVID-19 pandemic, and extending the application deadline for Delaware’s Senior School Property Tax Credit Program until June 1.

“We still face a very serious situation with COVID-19 in Delaware, especially in hot spot areas along the Route 113 corridor in Sussex County,” said Gov. Carney. “Delawareans should stay home unless you need to go out for essential work or essential items. Wear a cloth face covering in public settings. Wash your hands and disinfect surfaces frequently. Continue to take this threat seriously and stay informed at de.gov/coronavirus. We’ll get through this by working together.”

Governor Carney’s State of Emergency declaration has the full force and effect of law. Delaware’s stay-at-home order, and mandatory quarantine for out-of-state travelers, remain in place. Violations of the emergency declaration, or any of its modifications, constitute a criminal offense.

You Might also Like

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *